List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: collation of desktop spec issues
From:       Havoc Pennington <hp () redhat ! com>
Date:       2002-03-20 15:52:13

David Faure <david@mandrakesoft.com> writes:
> Right. KMail _is_ the name of the application.

But not the right name for the menu item. ;-) At least not the way
we're setting it up in GNOME.

> > I suggest that we clarify:
> >
> >    Name: generic user-friendly name of the application to appear in
> >          menus, such as "Web Browser"
> >    Comment: "tooltip" for the application, explaining in perhaps 3-10
> >             words what the application does, for example
> >             "View Internet web sites"
> >    AdvancedName: specific application name, such as "Mozilla"
> >
> > This adds the new AdvancedName field.
>
> This would lead to 5 "Web Browser" menu entries, when having Konqueror, Mozilla,
> Galeon, Netscape and Mozilla installed....

The idea is that you don't install all those. ;-) Kind of sucks for
users to have 5 web browsers and they can't tell any of them are
web browsers because they have inexplicable names.

But to avoid this argument (which I have with Bero all the time),
let's make both possible.

> The "advanced" name is not that advanced that it should be hidden from the menu.
> It's the way for a user to recognize the application, it's the most important one.
>
> I think we should have
> Name: the application name, e.g. Mozilla
> Comment: a short description (it mustn't be too long since it goes into a menuitem),
>                 e.g. "Web Browser"
> Tooltip: a longer explanation, "View Internet web sites".
>
> This adds tooltips for tooltips, explicitely, but leaves comment for something short
> enough to fit into a menuitem.

I really think it's bizarre to display Comment as an application
name. Especially when it's previously documented on this list as a
tooltip, and surely that was the original intent since it's called
Comment.

How about this:

  Name: the application name, e.g. Mozilla
  GenericName: e.g. Web Browser
  Comment: tooltip

So we would run the s/Name/GenericName/ sed job, and you guys could
run the s/Comment/GenericName/ sed job, and then we both need to add a
missing third field. But I don't see a way around everyone having to
add a missing third field anyhow, since we all have only two fields
currently.

Havoc