List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: fonts folder for non-root users
From:       Craig Drummond <cpdrummond () freeuk ! com>
Date:       2002-03-07 10:43:30

> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 03:34:18PM +0000, Craig Drummond wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > At present KFontinst will install non-root fonts
> > into $kdehome/share/fonts - would it not be
> > better to default to ~/.fonts. This way any
> > GNOME oriented font-installer could also use
> > this folder?
> >
> > Code changes would be very minimal - and would
> > only affect the first time the module is run -
> > existing users would be unaffected.
> >
> > Is it too late to make such a change?
>
> I am starting to really see the benefit of a ~/.etc dir instead;
where subdirs

Me too... I hate the fact the for KDE alone there's:
.kde/
.DCOPserver_???
.gtkrc-kde
.mcop
.mcoprc
.kderc
.kxmlrpc
.qt/

> like that can be stored. This is really putting too much into a users
dir.

> Anyway; a symlink in a future version seems a better solution since
this is
> a bit too late in the release cycle. Its bound to throw up problems
we did
> not see before..

OK - fair enough. I just thought that making the change before it was
being actively used would be easier, and less confusing to the users...

The only difference would be that it would select ~/.fonts by default
on first startup - the user can change this anyway. As I said existing
users would not be affected, as it would already have stored the
location as $kdehme/share/fonts