List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: fonts folder for non-root users
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-03-06 19:50:39

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 03:34:18PM +0000, Craig Drummond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At present KFontinst will install non-root fonts
> into $kdehome/share/fonts - would it not be
> better to default to ~/.fonts. This way any
> GNOME oriented font-installer could also use
> this folder?
>
> Code changes would be very minimal - and would
> only affect the first time the module is run -
> existing users would be unaffected.
>
> Is it too late to make such a change?

I am starting to really see the benefit of a ~/.etc dir instead; where subdirs
like that can be stored. This is really putting too much into a users dir.

Anyway; a symlink in a future version seems a better solution since this is
a bit too late in the release cycle. Its bound to throw up problems we did
not see before..