List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KParts API: thinking about the future (patch)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-04 0:45:45

On Sunday 03 March 2002 04:02 pm, David Faure wrote:
> Right. But for full "server push" support we need the parts to be adapted
> anyway, so that they are able to render the data progressively.

Sure, but the part can already do that with the current API. Maybe some flag
in the .desktop file to indicate whether it supports streaming would be
helpfull.

> For instance if one uses katepart with an internal (or external) ioslave
> that never terminates sending data.... nothing will ever show up. I think
> the API above makes it more explicit what is expected from the part.

It doesn't? Strange, I am pretty sure Kate actually has (had?) some support
for streaming.

> The solution of internal-IO-slaves is nice too though, for sure. No change
> in API, no change in the part, and many new possibilities offered.
> And indeed if the parts are made to support progressive loading, then there
> is no more need for the streaming API in KParts. Now I'm undecided ;)

Heh :-)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Advanced technology only happens when people take a basic idea and add to it.
 -- Bob Bemer