List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: plugins vs. libraries
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-19 20:44:25

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 06:11 am, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Hi!
>
> There seem to be a large confusion about plugins vs. libraries.
> E.g. lib/kde3 contains a lot of modules that start with lib.
>
> So let me state my opinion how things should be (and how I will
> change things to be if noone objects :):
>
> libraries
> ----------
>   - are installed into $KDEDIRS/lib
>   - have a version
>   - a defined interface (i.e. headers)
>   - are prefixed with lib
>
> plugins
> ---------
>   - are installed into $KDEDIRS/lib/kde*
>   - have a very minimal interface (one or two functions having C linkage)
>   - have no version
>   - have no lib prefix, but are prefixed with the purpose
>    (e.g. kcm_, kwin_, kimgio_, etc.)

Sounds fine, what about kded modules? Shouldn't they be named
"kded_<modulename>.la" as well then?

What about KDEinit loadable modules? They are currently installed in /lib
because we link dummy.cpp against them to get executable binaries.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Advanced technology only happens when people take a basic idea and add to it.
 -- Bob Bemer