On Tuesday 19 February 2002 06:11 am, Stephan Kulow wrote: > Hi! > > There seem to be a large confusion about plugins vs. libraries. > E.g. lib/kde3 contains a lot of modules that start with lib. > > So let me state my opinion how things should be (and how I will > change things to be if noone objects :): > > libraries > ---------- > - are installed into $KDEDIRS/lib > - have a version > - a defined interface (i.e. headers) > - are prefixed with lib > > plugins > --------- > - are installed into $KDEDIRS/lib/kde* > - have a very minimal interface (one or two functions having C linkag= e) > - have no version > - have no lib prefix, but are prefixed with the purpose > (e.g. kcm_, kwin_, kimgio_, etc.) Sounds fine, what about kded modules? Shouldn't they be named=20 "kded_.la" as well then? What about KDEinit loadable modules? They are currently installed in /lib= =20 because we link dummy.cpp against them to get executable binaries. Cheers, Waldo --=20 Advanced technology only happens when people take a basic idea and add to= it. -- Bob Bemer