List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: malloc performance
From:       "Kosoru Jozef" <kosoru () qbsw ! sk>
Date:       2002-02-13 9:02:03

> From: Matthias Elter
>
> Henrik Johnson wrote:
>
> > My application TOra (Not in any of the KDE packages, but it is a KDE
> > application and already supports KDE3) uses threads extensively. So
> > making KDE not working with threads would basically force me to go
> > back to Qt only. As long as it is optional (And distributions not
> > using it) I have no problems with this.
>
> You misunderstood Lubos. Even with his malloc implementation
> enabled KDE
> will of course continue to support threads. Because of the use of
> spinlocks for mutual exclusion it might perform a bit worse with many
> threads running than the default implementation though.

Multi-threaded appliactions are usually much more complicated than other
simple apps. The main reason why to write multi-threaded programs is
an efficiency, so providing a malloc solution which leads to a worse
performance for multi-threaded apps is something like to say: "We have
support simple apps just because the more complex software is something
which don't exist for KDE so who cares about their performance!"
I think this is not a good plan to the future of the KDE.

Jozef