List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Some KMenu thoughts
From:       Raffaele Sandrini <sandrini () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-02 10:50:34

Hi,

From time to time i get emails saying that there is no way to change root
links in Kicker. This is true so far.

So we have to thinks about this. It would be the best if any user (not only
root) can change the look of his desktop. Perhapps he also doesn't want all
those links in the KMenu because there are some wich he will never use. There
comes the problem. There is no way to get them out of the Menu because they
are stored in $KDEDIR/share/applnk wich is normally onyl accessable by root.
He can only change and remove those items wich he has created by himself.

I think we should handle this. A possible solution would be that when the user
starts KDE first time the whole linktree would be copied to
$HOME/.kde/share/applnk and kicker would take his informations only from
there. The user would be free then to make everything. An other approach
would be create special files in the Home dir to tell kicker not to show a
specific link. E.g. for $KDEDIR/share/applnk/System/kwuftpd.desktop there
would be a $HOME/.kde/share/applnk/System/kwuftpd.hide or something like
that.

Asking for pros and contras and general comments :-).

cheers,
Raffaele
--
Raffaele Sandrini <sandrini@kde.org>