List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Improving/simplifying integration of Qt applications in KDE
From:       Henrik Johnson <hpj () globecom ! se>
Date:       2002-01-31 12:56:51

simplifying for Qt app write who treasure the platform independancy to
integrate better into KDE projects I just thought I'd let everyone here
know I've started writing on such a project. I've pretty much finnished
the [KQ]Application implementation and will get started on
[KQ]MainWindow. I'll register a project on SourceForge (submitted an
application for a kqlib project) for now, but hope that you might
consider adding it to the KDE-libs package when it is finnished since
this is an itch I'm probably not the only one who thinks need scratching
even if not all of them subscribe to this list.

The goals of the project is:

1.Low footprint

A couple of thousand lines of code is pretty much my limit.

2.Sourcecode compatible with current KDE/Qt (Starting with KDE3/Qt3 as
the base)

This off course means the least common denominator of both versions. I'm
also planning to make it work with reimplementing all virtual functions
and signals in the original classes.

3.Binary compatible between KDE/Qt version of library

Basically you can install two versions of the same library and get two
pretty different behaviours of the same binary program.

I think I have thought out a way to make point 2 and 3 to be fullfilled
simultanously (The virtual functions is a bit tricky, but I think I've
got it).

Current I can think of the following areas that need implementing:

[KQ]Application
[KQ]MainWindow
Standard dialogs
Utility functions for creating some standard objects (Like
toolbars/popup menues etc)
Settings (With Qt only should use QSetting and KConfig in the KDE version)

Any suggestions to what else might be needed is welcome. As all know,
talk is cheap... Show us the code :). I'll get back to you in about a
week with a first release which will contain most of the items on the
list above.

/Mauritz
GlobeCom AB