List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Got some bugs here
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-30 15:47:19

Hi,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Michael Brade wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 January 2002 22:27, Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> > For me a lot of applications crash on exit recently, not only kate. I can't
> > get usefull BTs though either.  Most crashes seem to happen somewhere deep
> > in the MetaFile, kparts and klibloader when unloading libraries.
> >
> > Again a static class <--> static class problem ?
> Ahh, that could be the kdirlister crashes I'm getting here. What is the
> problem with static objects in libs again?

They lead to crashes ;)

1. No static objects in function scope.  Never.
2. Avoid static objects also in file scope, by trying to use
   KStaticDeleter (uses internally static objects, but in a controlled
   manner).

> KDirListerCache *is* a static object in libkio...

Try to redesign it to not require static objects.  If impossible use
KStaticDeleter.  Examples are all over kdelibs.

Ciao,
Michael.