List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Resize and Rotate extension / kcontrol module; new KTimerDialog class
From:       Hamish Rodda <meddie () yoyo ! cc ! monash ! edu ! au>
Date:       2002-01-24 15:55:43

An update...

>Another TODO for this to all work properly is having toolkits recognise the
>screen size change so that menus are still placed correctly. Does Qt take
>care of this at the moment (I'm using the core server atm. so I can't
> check)?

(answering myself :) Yep, it does this fine... However, I am having another
problem with Qt: Xft fonts are rendered too small and with size decreasing
proportional to decreasing screen resolution, once the screen is resized.

Keith Packard says:
"Are you smashing DisplayHeight and DisplayHeightMM in the X display
structure?  Xlib doesn't do that on it's own as we're not sure it's a good
idea for all applications (yet).  Just do:

        DisplayHeight(dpy,screen) = (new display height)

and things may work a bit better."

If any Qt gurus know what's going on....

>>Also, I thought the rotation events might be triggered by something else
>>already (i.e. when you rotate your screen ?). so duplicating it in kcontrol
>>is maybe not the right thing. Or do you always have to do it manually ?

An addition will be made to the RandR protocol to send an event from the
server advising of the change... it will be up to us to make the change /
prompt the user, etc.

>>Another unsolved part for me was how it interfers with Xinerama and
>>multihead.
>>
>>Does anybody know ?

quoting Keith:

"Yes, there are issues as RandR doesn't have a separation between the root
 window and the screen number.  It may be relatively easy to add the screen
number in the relevant places and have things "just work"."

As for the ETA of the extension in the core server, the resize part is a
possibility for XFree86 4.3, due sometime this summer. The rotate and depth
parts will take longer.

Hamish