List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: todo before KDE3?
From:       Karol Szwed <gallium () physos ! info>
Date:       2002-01-24 3:14:06

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:37:25 +0100, Matthias Ettrich wrote:

>> >We probably should, I've seen KStyle has been removed ;)
>>
>> KStyle has not been removed, it has been replaced. ;-)
>> The old KDEStyle stuff in kdecore has been thrown out due to QStyle API
>> changes, and a new KStyle placed in kdefx so we don't get qt-only
>> application segfaults if styles link to kdecore.
>>
>> Speaking of styles, we *really* need to modify KApplication and KIPC not to
>> interfere with Qt3's new style switching method. I mean, fire up qtconfig,
>> switch styles, colors or fonts and KDE apps don't get the new settings
>> applied. KApplication/KIPC seems to be blocking this somehow.
>
>Hmm, but isn't the other way round much more important? When we change
>colors/style/fonts in KControl, Qt-only application should change as well. In
>other words: we should do what qtconfig does _in_addition_ to what we do for
>KDE applciations.

Exactly, that's what we're trying to do with Aaron. The idea is that qtconfig
and KDE's kcms will cooperate nicely.

The new kcmstyle I'm working on uses QSettings to change stuff just like
qtconfig does. But having KDE applications use
setDesktopSettingsAware(false); makes QApplication::x11_apply_settings()
virtually useless. I feel that we should for sake of integration, use Qt's
x11_apply_settings, and KDE's KIPC for all those other KDE specific options.
This is what Aaron was helping me with. This would let qtconfig still work
with KDE, and KDE's kcms to correctly modify qtconfig's settings.

There's a very early incomplete kcmstyle in kdebase/kcontrol/style I just
updated, which uses qtconfig's method of switching styles. Now all we need is
KIPC and KApplication to behave nicely so it actually works for KDE
applications.

Cheers,
Karol.