List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-only KDE applications
From:       Falk Brettschneider <gigafalk () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-01-23 0:32:08

Hi,
Breaking the old boring Linux policy discussion here.

Maybe, it's possible to masquerade library class-APIs at runtime via a
switch:
    I mean, KDE and Qt-only apps could use libqt.so in a way that they
access the common QMainWindow class. Qt apps which want to use KDE
features could use a libqtkde.so in a way that they access a second
QMainWindow class which inherits from KMainWindow of KDE. It would be
necessary that libqtkde.so is linked against libkdeui.so.

So a Qt programmer just wishes to let his Qt-application be a KDE
application like this:
--------------main.cpp------------------
int main(...)
{
   QApplication a;
   QMainWindow m;
    a.setRunAsKdeProgramIfPossible(true);
    return a.exec();
}

If there is KDE installed, the library runtime code of libqtkde.so is
used and QApplication is actually a KApplication, otherwise it falls
back to libqt.so and QApplication is the common QApplication.

I don't know if this is technically possible. Maybe via dynamic linking.

Ciao,
F@lk