List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-only KDE applications
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-01-23 9:07:34

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 19:06, Lars Knoll wrote:

[snip]

> You might be right that it'll benefit Trolltech to a certain extent, but in

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I see any benefit for Trolltech at all.
Why should Trolltech care whether its commercial customers provide a KDE
version of their Unix products or not? It's the same license price and they
need a license whether they develop with additional KDE libraries or not.

> my oppinion writing such a library will benefit KDE even more. Why? Because
> a lot of apps that are currently Qt only will get a KDE look&feel. Because
> we will ultimately get more applications on our favorite desktop.
>
> We all want KDE to be successful and to be a real alternative to Windows.
> Without applications we don't have a chance there. So the more apps we get
> (and especially the more _commercial_ apps we get) the better for KDE.

Just think about the growing number of Kylix-based applications. For them,
using KDE's C++ API is not an option.

Matthis