List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: todo before KDE3?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-22 20:19:06

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 05:37 am, Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> > >We probably should, I've seen KStyle has been removed ;)
> >
> > KStyle has not been removed, it has been replaced. ;-)
> > The old KDEStyle stuff in kdecore has been thrown out due to QStyle API
> > changes, and a new KStyle placed in kdefx so we don't get qt-only
> > application segfaults if styles link to kdecore.
> >
> > Speaking of styles, we *really* need to modify KApplication and KIPC not
> > to interfere with Qt3's new style switching method. I mean, fire up
> > qtconfig, switch styles, colors or fonts and KDE apps don't get the new
> > settings applied. KApplication/KIPC seems to be blocking this somehow.
>
> Hmm, but isn't the other way round much more important? When we change
> colors/style/fonts in KControl, Qt-only application should change as well.
> In other words: we should do what qtconfig does _in_addition_ to what we do
> for KDE applciations.
>
> qtconfig really is a poor-man's KControl for Qt applications for those not
> running KDE.

I liked the basic idea of XSettings (not so much the implementation proposal)
and the approach in Qt2 implemented in qt_set_desktop_properties.
Unfortunately, qt_set_desktop_properties only contains a minimal subset of
the settings, it should really be updated to cover all the settings currently
covered by QSettings. (I believe I even send a bugreport about it once)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com