List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Should widgets emit sigals on set* calls?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-22 19:51:46

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 20:40, Michael Häckel wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 January 2002 20:16, Wilco Greven wrote:
> >
> > The signal should be emitted. What if two objects interact with the
button.
> > If one object changes the color, the other still wants to be notified
about
> > that change. The button should only emit the signal if the color really
got
> > changed by setColor.
>
> At least in Qt this works now different at several places.
>
> For example QListView->setCurrentItem() does no longer emit a
currentChanged()
> signal.

But QLineEdit::setText() still emits textChanged(), etc.
Tricky problem.

In KAction we also removed all signal emissions from setter methods, this was
bringing far too much trouble.

I'm afraid there isn't a perfect solution to this, it depends on the classes,
and needs to be documented appropriately in all cases.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops