List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: Qt-only KDE applications
From:       "kosoru" <jkosoru () qbsw ! sk>
Date:       2002-01-22 18:50:58

> Neil it's not. The people at Trolltech (some of the come from the KDE
> community some still do active KDE development) and aswell
> the company itself
> _do_ care about KDE. Much more than you might think. And we
> do care about
> having a good relation with KDE and the community.
>
> You might be right that it'll benefit Trolltech to a certain
> extent, but in my
> oppinion writing such a library will benefit KDE even more.
> Why? Because a
> lot of apps that are currently Qt only will get a KDE
> look&feel. Because we
> will ultimately get more applications on our favorite desktop.
>
> We all want KDE to be successful and to be a real alternative
> to Windows.
> Without applications we don't have a chance there. So the
> more apps we get
> (and especially the more _commercial_ apps we get) the better for KDE.
>
> Lars

I have to say, that this is a great approach. Qt is an excellent C++
library and the multi-platform application development is the future.
From my point of view KDE is a real and great platform.
I'm planning to create some commercial applications and
I've always been thinking about problem: Qt-only vs. KDE-only.
If Qt can nicely integrate into MacOS X or Win I don't see any
reason why not to integrate into KDE platform - it seems like
a logical step. After that the only one thing which I'll be missing
in Qt is a built-in support for components/plugins.
Cross-platform apps can't use KLibrary or such classes and
nearly every modern application needs the sophisticated
plugins architecture.

jozef