List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Icons on Buttons - again
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-01-19 14:57:22

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 09:47:20AM -0500, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> On Saturday 19 January 2002 09:14, Thomas Zander wrote about Re: Icons on
> Buttons - again:
> > It might be confusing; but the icons are correct.
> >
> > No and Cancel both do the same thing. Cancel also cancels the operation in
> > the first place.
> >
> > I don't see a problem with this dialog.
> Lets try to keep KDE out of the interface hall of shame.
>
> That is NOT correct UI action.  Every icon should be individual to each
> action.  This was my biggest objection to Icons on buttons, they tend to be
> inconsistant and hard to make consistant.  I know this puts burden on the
> artists here, but this is the path we chose to go down.

Excuse me for stating the obvious; the button is an icon AND a word. If
you seperate them then there is no gain in using the icons. Please don't make
the mistake that there is suppost to be an icon for every button; that was
never the purpose!
The icon complements the word and both together will be able to show a more
consistent desktop.

Placing similar icons on 2 buttons that do _almost_ the same is not wrong,
in this dialog the words seperate the two buttons which have identical icons,
however the icons still give a colorful feedback to the intention of the
button.

so; I don't see any problem with the dialog.