List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Support for animated icons (on mouseover)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-01-17 18:13:54

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:06:20PM +0100, Torsten Rahn wrote:

> > The two patches attached provide support for animations on mouseover, as
> > requested by our beloved artist (aka tackat ;)
>
> Thank you, thank you, thank you  ...
> anyone interested in autographs?
> No? hm ...

Hihi :)

> > The main question is: given the current feature freeze, is it ok to commit
> > this nonetheless ?
>
> I would go for a clear "YES".

Me too, in the real world where people are using computers because they have to
this kind of stuff is just the thing that makes KDE better.

I also believe that in time lots of things can be done in animations that just
make some things clearer. Icons have their limitations because of the similarity
of concepts, with animation you can put this on a whole new level gaining better
usability.
Think about changing the icon of a playing ogg/mp3 when you hover your mouse
over it... (And I am not the most creative of people!)

Therefor this should certainly be defaulted on for the same reasons the icons
on buttons should be defaulted to on; it makes for a better user interface.

> > The effect looks nice - although this is pure eye-candy, no doubt there.
> > Whether it will need to be made configurable or not.... I say yes, Tackat
> >  says no, we'll see what users (or the testers of this patch) say ;)
>
> I didn't say "no". I said: lets make it configurable as soon as the users
> actually do ask for it.

Naturally I have no problem with configuring this to be disabled when the user
finds it too slow. But c'mon how many old machines are out there that can't
run this!
So again I agree with tackat!