List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Support for animated icons (on mouseover)
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-01-17 13:35:47

On Thursday January 17, 2002 05:22, David Faure wrote:
> No need to be ironic. I didn't say it didn't use the CPU while the
> animation was running (it's just about displaying 5 pixmaps btw, i.e.
> same as if you had 5 more files in the directory).
> I said that this happens while the CPU isn't used by something else (in
> this process at least), and it doesn't slow the _user_ down - that was
> my main point.

a widget doesn't slow the system down when the user is doing something?
That's the *last* time you want a delay.

> I think the colors on the icons is useless too, pure eye-candy. Let's
> default to black and white icons, and let's put color as an option only.
> (hey if you can be sacarstic, I can be too).

Yup.  But color actually adds contrast and information, something
mouseover-animated widgets don't.

> I was expecting such reactions, and that's why I agree we have to make
> it configurable. Unlike tackat, I can conceive that a large category of
> users don't want such things ;)

I agree it should be configurable, and simply defaulted off.  I'm not
trying to argue against the patch going in here.

> However I would really appreciate if you would actually test the patch
> before commenting blindly on it.

I have to try it to want it defaulted off?  I can't apply common sense,
and experience with other animations locking up my XServer?

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.