List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    "Autorun" mechanism in KDE
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-16 21:11:06

Hi,

Due to KDE's wild popularity and acceptance in the Linux world, I have been
starting to get some question from outside developers who are thinking to
start writing some commercial KDE applications. This is just what I call
"snooping around" stage when people ask questions..

One of the question I got often was the issue of auto-running CD's, and I'll
explain..

Most distributions today like Red Hat, Mandrake and SuSE (if I'm not
mistaken) are coming with the supermount feature enabled - which means as
soon as someone will put a CD in, it will be mounted, and it least with Red
Hat - when you put the Red Hat CD in - it will run Kpackage, and if it's
Audio CD - it will run KSCD.

Now - many developers would like to know if the KDE team is planning (or if
it's available) a special file format that once the CD is put in the drive -
this file will run - similar to "autorun" in Windows world.

Is there a feature like this available in KDE? if not - does someone think to
implement it?

Thanks,
Hetz