List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: CVS issues
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-01-05 14:42:05

On Sat 05 Jan 02 14:32, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 11:51:26AM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > a) The K menu. The entries show now, by default, as a combination of the
> > program plus the tooltip in the form of e.g.
> >
> > Control Center (bla foo the place where bla)
> >
> > That makes it unnecessarily longer and the mouse movements to get to the
> > next level of menus far longer, besides on deeply structured menus, the
> > menus will cover the whole screen where they formerly didn't. Could this
> > be reverted, or if that is a feature, made configurable and disabled by
> > default ?
>
> I second that. I use KDE with a 800x600 resolution and the K menu is almost
> unusable now :-} . How about enabling it only for a desktop()->width() >
> 800 or the like?
>
> Simon

It seems the .desktop files have to be fixed.

A quick look gives:

kwrite.desktop:
name: "Advanced Editor",     Comment "A powerful text editor"

kate.desktop
name: "Kate", comment: "Kate - get an edge in editing"

xedit.desktop
name: "X Editor", comment: "X Editor"

gimp.desktop
name: "gimp", comment: "The GNU Image Manipulation Program"

kghostview.desktop:
name: "PS/PDF viewer", comment: "Postscript/PDF document viewer"

I think there was once the conclusion that another entry is needed, something
like a category of the app. We would need a fixed set of categories.
Then it could look like:

kwrite: N: "kwrite", Com: "A powerful...." Cat: "Text Editor"
kate:   N: "kate",   Com: "blah whatever" Cat: "Text Editor"
xedit: N: "Xedit", Com: "the basic X Editor" Cat: "Text Editor"
gimp: N: "gimp", Com: "The GNU .....", Cat: "Pixel graphics" (or something)
kghostview: N: "kghostview", Com: "PS/PDF Document viewer"  Cat: "Document
viewer"

And I think the names shouldn't be translated in most cases, e.g. in [eo]
both kate *and* kwrite are translated as "Kodredaktilo"

Bye
Alex

P.S. unfortunately I don't have the time to do it :-(