List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    About names in .desktop files
From:       Christoph Cullmann <crossfire () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2002-01-03 10:47:04

Hi,
sometime ago, there was a disscussion about the naming scheme of apps in the
k-menu (or better: how the name should be notated in the .dekstop files
[Name] entry) (on kde-core-devel).
The most people seems to want the Appname (What is it) scheme like:

Noatun (KDE Media Player)
KMail (Mail Client)

But nothing has been done since these mails. Still the most apps in the k-menu
follow no naming scheme or something like that. It is really very irritating
for new users and even advanced users which use sometimes the menu. If you
look after an appname, you mostly won't find it because the app you searchs
use only the description as its name or for new users just the other way
around, they search for scan app and don't find it because only Kooka is the
name of the app in the menu :(

Therefor I just have converted some names to the AppName (Short what is it)
scheme and wait for ohh my god, what have you done or hmm, nice.

Any comments to the new names (mostly kdemultimedia/graphics and some in
kdebase). I don't touch the helpcenter, kcontrol or such apps names, because
even I think these stuff is to close to the k destop to show its appname,
control center, panel, help  and so on should be much more comfortable for
new users without any prefix, because they search for help or settings, not
for specific apps.

cu
Christoph