List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: The handle arrows in kicker (was kicker applets usability)
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-12-12 15:57:54

> Neither I nor you need the arrows to find the context menu and yes, it is
> inconsitent but you won't believe how many bugs got submitted to
> bugs.kde.org by people who did not find out how to remove applets.

There's a lot to be said both for new users being able to figure
something out and for not getting unnecessary bug reports.

Apparently it's a matter of simplicity of form vs. clarity of function for
the novice.  Although this is obviously subject to personal preference, it's
also part of "Art Design 101" and general visual sensibility that a bunch of
irregularly spaced arrows don't belong in a professional design --
artistically speaking.  You don't see Mercedes pre-installing little pokemon
stickers on their dashboards pointing to the blinkers and wipers.

For the sake of reducing bug reports we could have the arrows displayed all
the time by default, but the ugliness-cost is too high not to have the option
of only displaying the arrows when a handle is active.

Regards,
Ellis