List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: The handle arrows in kicker (was kicker applets usability)
From:       Craig Drummond <cpdrummond () freeuk ! com>
Date:       2001-12-12 15:30:03

> >Well I'd agree with the original poster - they make kicker look
> >cluttered and messey. They should at least be themeable, so that
they
> >can be removed in certain themes.
>
> I'm not sure about that. How do you answer user mails when the arrows
are>
> there only in some themes? "You can use the context menu to remove
the
> applet, press the arrow button ... wait, do you use theme X?"

Hmm... OK, maybe that was a bad idea. But I still think the arrows are
messy and horrible.

> >After all, you have to right click on icons in kicker to remove them,

> >and there's no arrow icon there. So surely its just as consistent to

> >not have the arrows on applets.
>
> Neither I nor you need the arrows to find the context menu and yes,
it is>
> inconsitent but you won't believe how many bugs got submitted to bugs.
kde> .org
> by people who did not find out how to remove applets.

Why not have on option in the panel menu to "Remove" as well as "Add"
applets? This is how most users will add an applet - so removeing in
the same way is more consistent, no?

On a related note: How come if I add a menu button to kicker, the arrow
(used to indicate it is a menu) appears on the left - but on toolbar
buttons (such as konqueror's back/forward/up) the arrow appears on the
right? IMHO they should both be to the right.

Also, in my KDE3 (CVS version from about 3 weeks ago) - the arrow for
the K menu is to the left and 1/2 way up (and this is horrible)...

Ciao

Craig.