List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Too technical terms in PO's
From:       Claudiu Costin <claudiuc () work ! ro>
Date:       2001-12-04 21:16:36

On Tuesday 04 December 2001 22:40, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 06:33:20PM +0200, Claudiu Costin wrote:
> >   There are many places where such strings occur. E.g.
> > "KBlabla::init()  died in foobar!". There exist KDebug
> > to report errors, especially fatal ones. I think a number
> > should be assigned. E.g.
> >    "KSuperApp Error code: 12345"
> >    "Please report it to author!"
>
> That's helpful how? It doesn't provide more accurate information for the
> author (after all, I supposed the author knows the meaning of current
> messages) and it certainly won't make things less cryptic for users.
>
> I remember getting a lot of error 12345's with RealPlayer. When I went to
> the site for more info, it listed it as "Unknown error". At least I
> could've searched Google for cryptic messages.
  If numbers are so hated, how can you explain for average user difference
between image & pixmap. How about things more complicated. Joe user
send this number to author if it feel to be cooperative. But Joe will not
bother to send long long error message happned in KSuperApp::mangabanga()
virtual method... :)

> Some phrases might need to be changed for users (especially the what's this
> ones, I guess), but error numbers are horrible and should be avoided at all
> costs. (imho)
>
> Rob

kind regards,
--