List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Too technical terms in PO's
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-12-04 20:40:22

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 06:33:20PM +0200, Claudiu Costin wrote:
>   There are many places where such strings occur. E.g.
> "KBlabla::init()  died in foobar!". There exist KDebug
> to report errors, especially fatal ones. I think a number
> should be assigned. E.g.
>    "KSuperApp Error code: 12345"
>    "Please report it to author!"

That's helpful how? It doesn't provide more accurate information for the
author (after all, I supposed the author knows the meaning of current
messages) and it certainly won't make things less cryptic for users.

I remember getting a lot of error 12345's with RealPlayer. When I went to
the site for more info, it listed it as "Unknown error". At least I could've
searched Google for cryptic messages.

Some phrases might need to be changed for users (especially the what's this
ones, I guess), but error numbers are horrible and should be avoided at all
costs. (imho)

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
cap@capsi.com | temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."