List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KAction design questions
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-11-29 16:28:47

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what's going on in KAction wrt
keyboard shortcuts, and there are now a number of things that don't entirely
make sense to me.

The biggest thing is that _three_ copies of the shortcuts are being kept with
name, description, key, slot object, slot method:
	- in the KAction object
	- in the parent collection's KActionCollection::d->m_keyMap
	- in the KAccel object the KAction is plugged into

This makes for a lot of hack-quality code that's difficult to understandable
and maintain.  I would really like to be able to consolidate this into a
single KAccel object.  It seems to me that the KAction design should have the
following restrictions:
	- every KAction object has to belong to a KActionCollection
	- there is one KAccel object per KActionCollection

Or _should_ some KAction objects be in a collection and others not?  And do
we need every KAction object to be able to be plugged into a different KAccel
object?

Regards,
Ellis