List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Show/Hide Toolbar / Statusbar GUI issue
From:       Martijn Klingens <martijn () martijn ! homeip ! net>
Date:       2001-11-29 9:22:06

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> I think the "check" thingies work just fine. The problem starts when the item
> has an icon, then the check isn't shown any more. I tend to think that we
> should give preference to the "check"-item instead of the icon in those cases
> instead of the other way around, since the "check" item has the highest
> information contents.
>
> I know that the styles are supposed to make a subtle change to the icon when
> it is checked or not, but that change is so subtle that I am not able to see
> it. Pretty much like the (old?) Motif checkboxes, where you can see a
> difference between checked and unchecked, but you don't get any clue as which
> one is checked and which one is unchecked.

I think that is an issue of the styles and not of the KDE libs. Seriously,
I'd rather see every action (be it checkable or not) supply an iconset to
the menu. If a style decides to show a checkmark instead of the current
approach of drawing the icon 'pressed down', fine with me. Better IMO
would be to draw the icon and superimpose a checkmark on top of it,
though.

Either way, I added the support for icons in checkable actions in KDE 2.2
to make this work for styles that support it. Arguably the current
presentation might not be best, but I think dropping icon support in
kaction->plug() for menu items again is even worse. Now that I think of
it, it certainly is, because a manually created QMenuItem can also have
iconsets.

So, the only conclusion is: fix the styles, not the libs...

Martijn