List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: libkio & libksycoca
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2001-11-29 7:11:36

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 03:11:55PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:

>  The problem might be that not everybody will be able to use prelinking. I
> have no idea what the situation e.g. on FreeBSD is *). At least keeping
> libkdecore as a separate lib might be useful. Or it would be also possible to
> have one huge lib and also keeping kdecore (i.e. having it included in the
> big lib and also having it standalone, with hopefully only few #ifdefs for
> KMessageBox vs fprintf etc. ).

My biggest problem is that objprelink is *only* ia32 (does the PPC stuff
even work?).  Add to that: it doesn't really do anything over here (on my
FreeBSD/ia32b ox), and yes.. if you're looking at objprelink as the catch
all solution, please think again.

Now I'm not sure *why* objprelink isn't working... but the objprelink
binary isn't finding any of the appropiate relocations, and the linkonce
section only appears in a handful of C static libraries I have here.  I'm
not sure what's really causing this.  But as long as it's really machine
dependant, I think it's a bad thing to endorse/rely on.

zippy:~#ld --version && echo -- && gcc -v
GNU ld 2.11.2 20010719 [FreeBSD]
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
  Supported emulations:
   elf_i386
--
Using builtin specs.