List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: libkio & libksycoca
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-11-28 9:29:18

On Wed 28. November 2001 09:58, George Staikos wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2001 03:46, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Actually, I was about to propose something similar, just not as drastic.
> > I'd like to merge some libs into one where it doesn't really make sense
> > to have separate rather small libs. Could somebody please say why each of
> > these libs is a separate lib and what exactly is it supposed to do (I
> > e.g. don't really understand the difference between libkio and
> > libksycoca, and why we have separate libkfile).
> >
> > [seli@seli seli]$ ldd /opt/kde3/bin/kdeinit | grep kde
> >         libkssl.so.4 => /opt/kde3/lib/libkssl.so.4 (0x40497000)
>
>    KSSL was originally separate because of bloat issues.  It now uses
> dlopen() so it should be light enough to link directly into kio.  No
> objections to that.  I guess the biggest concern is the impact on projects
> like konq-e and atheos which may or may not use these things too.

 I don't think it should affect Konq/E or AtheOS in any way, I don't want to
move the sources or anything like that. The only source change would be
changing lib_LTLIBRARIES=libkssl.la to noinst_LTLIBRARIES=libkssl.la , which
would make it be included in libkio when linking libkio.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 llunak@suse.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org