List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KControl: Printing to "Periphials"
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-11-28 9:05:56

> > While reading an article about Desktop Environments and how they are
> > expirienced by novice users, the article mentions an inconstistancy:
> >
> > Printers indeed belong to "Periphials" rather than to "System". System is
> > valid as long as you call it "Printer Manager" but I still prefer to move
> > it to "Periphials" calling it simply "Printers".
> >
> > Any objections?
>
> Sounds good, although it should be noted that "System" contains modules that
> modify "system-wide" as opposed to "user-wide" settings. As a result those
> modules require root-accesss. I suspect that the Printer Manager can do both
> which makes it a difficult decision where to put it....(putting it at both
> locations doesn't seem very attractive either.)

For me, it doesn't really matter where the module is placed as long as a newbie
can find it easily. The fact is that the Print Manager module can do many
different operations, system-wide and user-wide, hence it's difficult to
classify it. Even if it makes sense to put it in the System section, I think
that most users make the association "printer <-> peripheral". So if a choice
has to be made, my opinion is that it would be better to move it to the
Peripherals section.

Michael.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM