List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: question on GCC 3.0
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-28 8:49:34

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 10:52:17PM -0500, Christopher Molnar wrote:
> Can anyone give me a status on KDE and gcc 3.0? Is CVS HEAD compiling and
> running under it yet?

It does work, basically. AFAIK there are two problems with regard to KDE:

1) The arts multiple inheritance bug. I was told this is fixed in
   gcc HEAD and that a separate patch will be provided with the next
   stable gcc release (3.0.3)

2) c++/3993 : rtti is broken when playing with dlopen. The rtti
   implementation relies on there being only one single instance of
   type_info objects (hence it can implement the == and before
   methods of type_info using address comparison) , which is accomplished
   using weak symbols.  This is broken for some reason (ld bug?) , and it
   hits us in a few places, like when using Blackie's regular expression
   editor (results in failing assertions in khtml, klipper, kate,
   etc.) . (the workaround I locally use is to disable those quick rtti
   methods and go back to the slower ones doing string comparison)

Simon