List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    libkio & libksycoca
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-28 0:22:43

job.cpp:2486 says:

   If source isn't local and target is local, we ignore the original
   permissions Otherwise, files downloaded from HTTP end up with -r--r--r--
   But for files coming from TAR, we want to preserve permissions -> we use
   default perms only if from remote The real fix would be
   KProtocolInfo::inputType(protocol) == T_FILESYSTEM, but we can't access
   ksycoca from here !

Wouldn't it be a solution to merge both libksycoca and libkio into libkio,
mark libksycoca obsolete and provide a dummy libksycoca for backwards
compatibility?

I would almost be inclined to say that we should move all of
"kdecore/kdeui/kio/ksycoca/kfile/kparts" into a single libkde since this is
all pretty much generic functionality. That way we could also use e.g.
KMessageBox in kdecore for error-reporting (when kapp is available).

This is also motiviated by the fact that when you don't have kdelibs sources
installed it is far from clear which libs you should link against, since most
include files end up in $KDEDIR/include (only libkparts uses an include dir
of its own, libkio uses include/kio for _some_ of its include files, but not
all)

Cheers,
Waldo