List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Passive message popup class
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-24 18:53:16

On Friday 23 November 2001 10:09 am, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Richard Moore wrote:
> > As part of my plan to improve the way KDE apps interact with the task
> > manager, I've just finished a passive popup class that lets you display a
> > message next to the taskbar icon. The popup does not interupt the user
> > (hence the name 'passive'). The implementation uses the standard icon
> > geometry properties from the WM specs, so it should work with any WM and
> > taskbar.
>
> Wow. I think you've just obsoleted a whole bunch of my crufty code for
> daemons (my own apps) that sit in the systray and occasionally need to
> draw (a small amount of) attention to themselves. I take it this works
> with systray applications as well?

Not currently, but now that you've asked for it I'll make it do so.

> > I've attached, the code, a demo app, the docs and a small piccy. I'd like
> > to see this (and hopefully some other related tools) in the 3.0 api. Any
> > comments?
>
> How about extending it that you can have one passive log window that keeps
> some history? Although, that may be a job for the application more than
> for the popup itself.

I think that would be more a job for KNotify - if it was extended to call
KPassivePopup then adding a log would be relatively easy.

> Thanks anyway, this looks really useful to me. As for sneaking it into
> 3.0, that's a job for Superman, or something.

Well, I don't claim to be superman but I still think it can be done in time.
The code itself is pretty simple.

Cheers

Rich.