List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: kio_mount
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2001-11-16 13:29:36

On Friday 16 November 2001 13:20, Rob Kaper wrote:

> The more I use KIO, the more I think it does not belong in KDE. It should
> be available in a much broader context. It should live on top of the
> kernel, as system service.

I'm thinking the same. The features that kio provides aren't kde specific.

> It's a bit unlikely that will ever happen, but a nice compromise would be
> to have the ability to mount KIO slaves. This would give every application
> on the system access to any content behind KIO slaves. For example, you
> could forego NFS alltogether and kio_mount a SFTP account.

I also looked at this, but I don't know enough about kernel internals. My idea
was similar, but a bit different. In my "vision" there is a kio filesystem
that you can just mount (e.g. to /mnt/kio) and that has a subdirectory for
every kioslave. The kernel would create a device inode through which it
communicates with a kiofs daemon that creates the slaves.

> Martijn Klingens informed me about the following page
>
> http://lwn.net/2001/1115/a/fuse.php3
>
> which is about user-space mounting. Requires kernel 2.4 to compile, but
> doesn't require a kernel recompilication to work.

I found something called userfs, which is very old and not ported to 2.4. It
also makes it possible to mount user space filesystems.

> Ideas? Flames? Praise?

I like it.