List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RFC: kio_mount
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-11-16 12:20:12

The more I use KIO, the more I think it does not belong in KDE. It should be
available in a much broader context. It should live on top of the kernel, as
system service.

It's a bit unlikely that will ever happen, but a nice compromise would be to
have the ability to mount KIO slaves. This would give every application on
the system access to any content behind KIO slaves. For example, you could
forego NFS alltogether and kio_mount a SFTP account.

Martijn Klingens informed me about the following page

http://lwn.net/2001/1115/a/fuse.php3

which is about user-space mounting. Requires kernel 2.4 to compile, but
doesn't require a kernel recompilication to work.

Should I contact the author and propose cooperation to somehow make FUSE and
KIO work together and create a kio_mount program which could be optionally
compiled (kdeaddons or something) in case FUSE is found on a system?

It wouldn't be as nice as KURL/KIO support in glibc/kernel (cp audiocd:/Ogg\
Vorbis/*.ogg sftp://user@host/home/user/), but I can definitely see some
very valuable uses for kio_mount.

Ideas? Flames? Praise?

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
cap@capsi.com | temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."