List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: registering KDE-specific MIME-Types with IANA?
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-11-03 7:37:06

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 05:17:57AM +0000, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Marc Mutz
> > While reading RFC's for KMime I came across the fact that x-* MIME-types
> > are deprecated (rfc2048 - MIME Part 4: Registration procedures).
> > Proprietary mime types should be registered under the vnd. tree. Should
> > we try to collect all KDE-specific mime types under vnd.kde.*?
>
> Seems like a good plan to me. Any drawbacks ?

The only one I see is that koffice applications register the mime types inside
their document for embedded parts, so a backwards compatability has to be added
(an .desktop file to the users installation)
We saw this allready with KOffice files containing embedded KIllustrator files
refusing to open.

But something that will be a more lasting problem is that newly created
documents with embedded parts (which have a new mime type) can not be opened
with old releases.

Personally I don't think this is a big problem though, with the current rate
of change (read: improvement :) it is justified to let people upgrade anyway.