List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RFC: KAction::plug() too limited - KActionWidget
From:       Michael Brade <brade () informatik ! uni-muenchen ! de>
Date:       2001-11-02 22:09:32

Hi!

The situation: actions in KDE are only pluggable into menus, toolbars and
popups. In KNotes I need to plug actions into a QWidget since there is no
toolbar and using a popup for rich text options is ugly.

Solution: I wrote a KActionWidget (not finished yet) that takes actions just
like e.g. a menu and displays them using a grid layout or a box layout
(dynamically changable even after plugging actions for maximum flexibility).
For bigger customization it is possible to derive from KActionWidget.

I thought about adding it to the XML GUI framework as well so that you can
write something like

<actionwidget name="bla">
   <action name="an_action"/>
</actionwidget>

What do you think? May I add it to the features list?

Ciao,
  Michael

PS: sorry for posting this soo late, I didn't have enough time for KDE the
last two months :-(

--

       Some operating systems are called `user friendly',
             Linux however is `expert friendly'.