List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig object-orientification
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-10-31 23:35:37

On Jeudi 1 Novembre 2001 00:21, Charles Samuels wrote:
> Well, I've started on the arduous task of making KConfig::group() return a
> temporary class (KConfigGroup) that has all the accessors (like readEntry,
> writeEntry, etc).

Great.

> I'm also breaking compatiblity big-time with older versions.  As in, major.
> KConfigGroupSaver is departing, and, well, all sorts of good things.

Why ?
Why not keep it for compatibility ?

> This involves also updating the rest of KDE, and is all very hairy because
> every single thing in cvs will have to change.

Why ? Why can't the code be moved to KConfigGroup, and the old code
still be in place, calling KConfigGroup's method with the "current group"
(the old notion we're trying to get rid of, but remaining for compat) ?

> Instead of making a diff, I've uploaded just the new KConfigBase (where all
> this happens), so you can take a look.  And I'm working on updating
> kdelibs to respond to these new changes, in the hopes that friday, it can be
> committed, and the rest of kde can be updated with respect to this API.

Please see above. I don't think there is a need for breaking everything here.

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops