List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: IRC Meeting on KDE 3 Theming [Was: Re: Reminder 2nd November]
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-28 13:05:17

On Sunday 28 October 2001 00:56, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Saturday October 27, 2001 08:36, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
> > Quite simply - we need to move WM Decorations, Themes and Styles into
> > one KControl module.
>
> Having two, three, four rows of tabs in a module will be hard to use and
> navigate.  You'd probably end up removing it from KControl to break it up
> into different modules again.
>
> Ever seen an MS Word 95 config dialog?  My memories of the Office 95
> config dialogs, with row after row of tabs, aren't pretty.

Nobody implied that we should use tabs after tabs after tabs. We can find
elegant solutions.

I was, just earlier, about to prepare a message on this very topic. There
exist examples of implementations of what I mean, and there exist clear
situations of what I mean can be adapted.

The good example: If you look at te KNotify config, it is an example of
bringing together a bunch of very similar config options, from different
apps. The particularity in the case of KNotify is the uniformity of the raw
KConfig support present in the backend (i.e. .events files installed by each
app in a standard location).

But we can use the same approach, with minimal changes, to situations
concerning apps that are storing the effective KConfig info in completely
disjoint files. The heterogeneity of config files that have to be supported
isn't a barrier.

Now the bad example: if you were around in the time of KDE-1, you might have
been interested and you might have looked at the fonts configuration. There
was a rudiment of this "centralisation of similar functionalities" principle.
The initial idea was to make possible to have all apps put their font related
configuration in one single KControl module. The things didn't go too far,
all apps have now their font configurator (konq has 2!!).

What I envision is to still rely on the current saving of KConfig font info on
a per app rc file basis, but use a centralization mechanism. It will consist
of:
- backend (KConfig keys in spread around rc files) - already existent
- backend centralizator - an XML file for each app specifying:
	- app's identification
	- app's font keys - one entry per key
		- identification of the font key
		- default value
		- value limitations (e.g. fixed fonts only)
		- rc file, kconfig group, kconfig key names
- frontend (a kbookmarkedit-like or knotify-like listview + widgets)

We can improve a lot on this basis.

And the spots where this kind of approach applies are a few.

CT