List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Reminder 2nd November
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-10-26 13:41:52

On Friday 26 October 2001 14:52, Dirk Mueller wrote:

> If you know about things that you think that _have_ to be in 3.0, please
> speak up now.

I was thinking of adding a way to define the enabling/disabling of actions in
the XML UI definitions. Something that I wrote at work a while ago. It goes
like :

<state_change new_state="file_loaded">
  <enable>file_close</enable>
  <enable>file_save</enable>
  <enable>file_save_as</enable>
  <disable>file_new</disable>
</state_change>

<state_change new_state="no_file">
  <disable>file_close</disable>
  <disable>file_save</disable>
  <disable>file_save_as</disable>
  <enable>file_new</enable>
</state_change>

etc... ad lib.

Then the KApplication would just call setState("file_loaded") or
setState("no_file") when fit and all the actions would be enabled/disabled as
appropriate. setState() would be a slot, of course, and a corresponding
signal might be worth adding as well.

However all it would do is add symbols, not modify any. I haven't gotten
around looking at it just yet (though having already implemented it it
shouldn't take long) and I'm not at all adamant on getting it in 3.0, I can
wait for the next feature thaw. But if you think it would be a worthwhile
addition, then I'll get it in ASAP.

> - kdoc vs. Doxygen. Should we make doxygen our recommended tool for
>   generating the documentation?

For what it's worth, kdoc couldn't grok Rosegarden's code. It locked solid on
some templates, while doxygen didn't show any problem.

--
Guillaume
http://www.telegraph-road.org