List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New DCOP command line tools.
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-26 4:51:55

On Thursday 25 October 2001 07:21 pm, ian reinhart geiser wrote:

> aww yeah!
> now we can start passing dcop references around from the command line?
> If this is the case we ma
>
> one issue i had with dcop would it be possible to return a list of objects
> with the dcopfind id instead of the first one?  Or am i missing it?

The idea behind dcopfind is that it returns a single reference to an object or
client that you can use for future communication.

> Also could dcop become smart enough to handle wildcards in the function
> matching so the following would work?
[Snip]

No, I think you should use the "foreach" functionality of your scripting
language (shell in this case) for that.

You can use "dcop" to get a list of available applications or available
objects. It might be worthwhile to extend dcop a bit with wildcards in the
sense that "dcop kwrite-*" would return a list like:

kwrite-1234
kwrite-1235

Would that work for you? Then your script would look like:

for client in `dcop kwrite-*`; do
  for object in `dcop $client kmainwindow#*`; do
    dcop $client $object winID
  done
done

> As a side note when i do a `dcop kwrite` here i get an error, as I
> understand from your docs this action should return a list of plausible
> kwite objects?

Yes, but there is no "kwrite" client. Try 'dcop kwrite-<pid>' instead.

> This is all very exciting, and I think these additions will make these dcop
> interfaces even more powerful.

Let's hope so.

Cheers,
Waldo