List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: mimetype specific information
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-10-22 17:46:20

On Lundi 22 Octobre 2001 19:40, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > Another use could be information about the file on right click ->
> > properties. The different mimetypes could have information about where to
> > show which of the details in its .desktop file. The .desktop file would
> > also contain a mapping between the key and the text that corresponds to it
> > in the different languages and, of course, the name of the library that
> > needs to be loaded.

This sounds good to me.
Initially I had in mind that this should be a module for kio_file, so that
kio_file returns those additional fields via the UDS_* stuff (see previous
discussions with Alex Neundorf), but your idea is simpler (which is good!).
Let konqueror use those modules directly - if the modules really want to
do network transparency, they can still use kio for that (e.g. over smb/ftp).

> In this case I would add the possibility to specify a KPart instead of the
> key/value system. The key/value system should not be left out here, since in
> many cases it is just what we need. And easy to implement and low on resource
> usage. But for some specialized cases one might want to put a real GUI there
> with widgets and all.
>
> Hmm... isn't that already possible?

You mean like associating a part with a given mimetype - which is possible since KDE-2.0 ?
Don't confuse things here. Mimetype->KPart already exists. What this is about,
is mimetype->additional information to be shown in a directory view, and in the
properties dialog.

Go for it, Rolf ;-)

David.