List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Font Installer, changes to startkde, plus KDE3 KControl changes...
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2001-10-09 7:41:52

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 12:10:37AM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:

> It is - but the Novell naming of "Supervisor" is semantically less applicable
> to some services and I agree with Rik and Danimo that "root" is confusing to
> a lot of people. And even if it isn't - I think the naming could be better
> worded.
>
> "Administration" OTOH is general. Same for "Maintenance Mode", "System Mode",
> "Global Mode", etc.
>
> I can even imagine that some modules will be written in the future that are
> run through another user than root. "maintenance" & co. are still ok then,
> but root is not.

Exactly.  A web server, dns server, rdbms, etc may only run as root to
grab the port.  Other than that, they should be run suid <some other
user>.  But to tweak or slap them around should require some sort of
enhanced privs.  Administrator or Supervisor sounds appropiate to me.

Someone being pedantic might mention (or use) the toor account.

- alex