List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Font Installer, changes to startkde, plus KDE3 KControl changes...
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-10-03 22:10:37

On Wednesday 03 October 2001 23:13, aleXXX wrote:
> On Wed 03 Oct 01 21:08, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 October 2001 20:51, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > > Yes, it should be changed to something that suggests what it really
> > > means. I don't like "Run as root" as the user may not know what "root"
> > > is and "Modify system settings" doesn't really make sense to the user
> > > who is looking in the "System" KControl group already. Confusing.
> >
> > "Administrator Mode"?
> >
> > Martijn
>
> "Run with Root privileges" ?
> "Enable Root privileges" ?
>
> I don't think it is to much to expect a user to learn who root is on a UNIX
> system, really. (and Administrator is IMO a windowism)

It is - but the Novell naming of "Supervisor" is semantically less applicable
to some services and I agree with Rik and Danimo that "root" is confusing to
a lot of people. And even if it isn't - I think the naming could be better
worded.

"Administration" OTOH is general. Same for "Maintenance Mode", "System Mode",
"Global Mode", etc.

I can even imagine that some modules will be written in the future that are
run through another user than root. "maintenance" & co. are still ok then,
but root is not.

Martijn