List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: collecting important make warning messages
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () master ! kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-28 22:26:10

> Hmm, still very fragile.  You (as a user) are never sure, if that
> log now really contains all important messages,

well, that's our responsibility. still better than the current state
where we have no message at all or abort (for the last ones it will be
surely noticed, where an adoption is required).

> > well, that requires a) adding special patterns to the messages
> > anyway, so a grep could recognize it
>
> Hmm.  Just print out everything not recognized (i.e. e.g. gcc
> warning, all warnings, installing... messages, and so on), which is
> already tremendously useful.

well, that might be an idea.

> > and b) make would not be invoked directly,
>
> why not?
> postpro-all postpro-install:
> 	rm -f logfile
> 	make `echo $@ | sed s/postpro-//` 2>&1 | tee logfile
> 	postprocess logfile
> (postpro as first target in the file)
>
> With some more magic this can be built into the normal all: or install:
> targets.

about this magic i am concerned. i thought about it, too, but came
to no conclusion so far. maybe, do some am_edit magic?

> Does any developer really build the whole tree without such a logfile?

yes, me. ;)
if i make a full build, i don't really care about the warnings in the
other apps - it's the responsibility of the according ppl. it's
time-wise impossible to have a closer look. with such
"unknown-stuff"-filter that may become significantly less an issue,
but still there is a lot of noise (read: known problems or compiler
paranoia) that one has to dig through.

greetings

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.