List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: collecting important make warning messages
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-28 21:10:38

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > Hrg.  This would mean to modify all Makefiles (or at least those
> > deemed important enough, but still adds a huge maintenance burden),
> >
> well, i don't consider this to be too much of a burden. i think everybody
> who coded something knows if this modification would be appropriate for
> his case and would just make it.

Hmm, still very fragile.  You (as a user) are never sure, if that log now
really contains all important messages, or if the redirection was only
left out by accident, and still have to compare make's output with that
log-file.  Nevertheless, as long as tee is used, and nothing happens, if
no logfile is specified, I wouldn't care if there would be a common name
for such a file.

> > and would not add much functionality to: 'make 2>&1 | tee log', with a
> > post-processing step, which could be centralized.
> >
> well, that requires a) adding special patterns to the messages anyway,
> so a grep could recognize it

Hmm.  Just print out everything not recognized (i.e. e.g. gcc warning, all
warnings, installing... messages, and so on), which is already
tremendously useful.

> and b) make would not be invoked directly,

why not?
postpro-all postpro-install:
	rm -f logfile
	make `echo $@ | sed s/postpro-//` 2>&1 | tee logfile
	postprocess logfile
(postpro as first target in the file)

With some more magic this can be built into the normal all: or install:
targets.

> but through a "maker wrapper", which is sort of "non-standard".
> otoh, it had the advantage, that #pragma warning, i.e., compiler output
> could be parsed as well. but then, look at the size of the entire make
> log.

Does any developer really build the whole tree without such a logfile?  (I
mean one single app or directory I understand, but for the whole tree in
the background I wouldn't want to rely on the terminal to show me
messages)

> back my idea ...
> only in the top-level makefile we would have
> LOGFILE := $(shell pwd)/make.log
> the problem is displaying the stuff afterwards ... any idea?

Yes.  Same as above. Indirection targets bla-xxx, which after invoking
'make xxx' do a 'cat make.log'.

Ciao,
Michael.