List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Where to put post-2.2 development
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2001-09-20 12:51:41

Dne cetrtek 20 september 2001 13:14 je David Faure napisal(a):

> Well, koffice is already released independently from KDE. We could do
> the same for other applications/packages if they have been
> significantly changed and want to release before KDE-3. Note that
> this is a terrible mess translation-wise. It's easy to set up

I don't believe this can be stated enough. If you don't think so, then
you should spend few months doing translations.

Like most developers, translators are mostly volunteers (actually I
know no one who would be paid for this work) and like them, they don't
have as much free time as they'd like to or when they'd want to. Every
release is a strain and more there will be of them, harder it will be
to keep up. Especially for small teams like most are.

Also, many of them don't have the same level of technical knowledge as
developers do. For some even basic handling of CVS can be hard.
Juggling between branches will certainly make everything even more
difficult and hence more likely for some to them to do something else.

I also have some problems with understanding this talk about droping
support for just released version and no future in it. Isn't this true
for any software package? People just use current version until the
next version is released. I don't anyone expects anything inbetween
except maybe security patches.

Or is this just a wish to release some applications more often? Beside
many so often stated reasons why this is not a good idea who wants
that? Judging by people on dot.kde.org and other forums, users are
either satisfied with current tempo or wish it was slower. I can't
recall anyone wishing to get releases more often.

But then again, this is just opinion of me. Former translator,
hopefully soon developer and always user.

Regards,

	Marko

--
Think!