List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Where to put post-2.2 development
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-09-20 11:14:19

On Jeudi 20 Septembre 2001 12:56, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Wednesday September 19, 2001 09:07, aleXXX wrote:
> > How about releasing more apps also independent from KDE releases ?
>
> That takes us back to the original question: How shall we organize the
> development of those independent releases?  By having them organized, a
> user or packager can have a reasonable chance of getting to the new stuff.

Well, koffice is already released independently from KDE. We could do the
same for other applications/packages if they have been significantly changed
and want to release before KDE-3. Note that this is a terrible mess translation-wise.
It's easy to set up different branches for the code, and package a given cvs module only,
but inside kde-i18n it's all mixed up (sorted by language), so they never know which branch
to use, the .pot files have to be updated in the correct branch, and there's
quite a packaging effort in extracting only the relevant files from kde-i18n (*), from
the right branch, to ship with the application (and in a way that doesn't conflict
with previous kde-i18n packages - which is impossible unless we ALWAYS release
those modules/apps separately. This will be the case for KOffice, but not necessarily
for other apps). Of course if you make a separate tarball available somewhere it probably
won't have updated translations. But for something that goes out of CVS we've always
tried to provide updated translations.

On the whole, it has to be worth it. The additionnal work (in terms of translations,
packaging, releases, announces, etc. etc.) is not to be neglected.

(*) we just found out that the koffice-i18n tarballs contain only .po files and
not the translated documentation, which is still in the kde-i18n tarballs. Whoops.

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/